Saturday, November 12, 2011

Colonial Dollhouse - new system


I cut out a few pieces of the slate for the top of the porch & here we are a week later?!  I haven't done much since.

I did notice on the new container of Water Putty that you can add a small amount of vinegar or milk when mixing it with the water to slow down the hardening time.

Another thing - I buffed the faux slate with a piece of brown paper bag (it has wax in it), & this created a shine on the higher surfaces, leaving the recessed areas matte.  This helped to define the texture of the slate.

Close up (about an inch across) of faux slate after buffing.  (I held a lamp to the side of the faux slate when I photographed it.)  Notice what looks like brush stokes or wood grain - nope - thats because I used 80 grit sandpaper when I sanded the dried water putty  - creating flat tops.  Next time I will go over it with 220 grit. The 80 grit sandpaper would work well for an old wood surface - painted shades of brown.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Colonial Dollhouse - new system

Making the slate for the top & treads
I (scribbled) the water putty on to a piece of mat board - using a eye-dropper (see previous posts for details.)

I let it dry - then sanded it...

I painted it shades of grey with blends of red & blue...

Next I'll cut this into tiles, then round off & paint / touch-up the edges & corners...

I'll use this configuration for the slate that will go on the top (or floor) of the porch...on the treads I'll just use 3 tiles across the steps...

Friday, November 4, 2011

Colonial Dollhouse - new system

River Rock (again)
New front porch:
The Plan.

The Parts

Glue & Assemble

I rounded off the corners of the steps so the water putty rocks would flow smoothly around 
the corners. The parts on the right will be glued in after the river rocks are completed.